Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ooma Japanese Rice Bar at SM Mega Fashion Hall

I've always wanted to try this restaurant but the place would always be full during previous attempts. But, when I passed by a few days ago around 4 p.m., there were only three occupied tables and even though I had no plans of eating in the mall, I decided to do so. It was sort of like now or never.


Ooma Japanese Rice Bar is located at the 3rd Floor of SM Mega Fashion Hall in Mandaluyong City. The word " ooma " is a play on the Japanese word " umai " which means " good ". " Umay " in our local vocabulary refers to something that is overpoweringly rich in flavor with a not so positive connotation.


According to the server, the interiors derive inspiration from Japan's famous Tsukiji fish market.


By the entrance, I would always see customers wait for their tables on practical seats made of plastic crates.


The plastic crate right under the cushioned seat can be used as storage. I want some of these for my condo.

The menu of Ooma Japanese Rice Bar was conceived by Bruce Ricketts, one of the esteemed young chefs of the country. I've been to his restaurant Sensei Sushi Bar in Aguirre Street but have yet to try his degustation menu at Mecha Uma in Bonifacio Global City.


I decided to get three little plates for starters.


Soft Shell Crab Taco-Maki - " open-faced temaki wrap, crispy soft shell crab, aligue mayo, tobiko ".


I'm glad that there were only two pieces since I wanted to have stomach space for some main courses. I have decided to try as many dishes as I can in one visit.


The taco-maki was bursting with enticing flavors. I love the crunch from the soft shell crab coupled with an appealing spiciness.


Salmon Tataki - " sesame crusted salmon, roasted pineapple, pickled red radish, ginger garlic sauce ".


This is a beautifully crafted dish and definitely looks better than the photo I took.


It was too pretty to consume.


On the salmon, I dabbed some sauce that was provided on the dish.


I forgot to ask what the sauce was but it further enhanced the taste of the salmon. It was so tasty and delicious with the fillet melting in my mouth.


O-Gyoza - " gratinated mozzarella and cheddar cheese, scallion, togarashi, unagi sauce ".


Takeout on several menu items is disallowed so I had to eat all five gyozas.


With each one covered in melted cheese, I was chomping away happily. Once again, I wasn't disappointed.


The server eventually clarified that for the hot plates, takeout is possible. This was good news since I was full but still wanted to try more. This is Gyudon - " sous-vide beef short plate, fresh mushroom, onion, fried shallot, fresh egg, house tare ".


I only had a small taste of the gyudon.


The dish was tasty and full of robust flavors.


Buta Kakuni - " slow roasted pork belly, pickled carrots, radish and scallion, coconut sauce.


I had to get a protein since the Gyudo had a lot of rice and requires an additional meat partner.


The meat was so soft and easily fell apart.


The dish was divine. The richness of the coconut sauce was addictive and pleasurable. 


I was happy that I will have my takeaway for dinner in a few hours.


In my opinion, Ooma Japanese Rice Bar lives up to its hype. I also love the fact that its a homegrown restaurant and doing well amidst the influx of Japanese franchises. Based on the dishes I tried, I will definitely be going back. The good news for me is that a second branch at Rockwell Center in Makati recently opened. I will be there soon, for sure.


Cost of Meal : P 1,397.55

Post a Comment

0 Comments